I need more from you than just physical touch -- Wife
My husband complained that I was starving him sexually, but the truth was, he never truly understood me not even after two years of marriage. He struggled to read my emotions, to understand the depths of my feelings. And despite the love we shared, it often felt like I was invisible to him, as if my moods and needs were just too much for him to grasp.
It wasn’t just about sex. No, it never really was. I wanted him to see me; not just as his wife, not just as the mother of our children, but as a woman who longed for something deeper, something more. I wanted him to hear the unspoken words that my heart whispered, the things I was too afraid to say out loud because I feared they would only push him further away.
It had been a few weeks since I started feeling the weight of distance between us. He seemed preoccupied, distracted by everything else but me. At first, I thought it was just a phase; stress from work, life getting in the way. But when he brought it up again; how I was neglecting his physical needs-I realized that something more was brewing beneath the surface.
I had always been the kind of person who held things in, especially when it came to my emotions. I told myself that if I could just keep quiet, everything would be okay. But it wasn’t. And as the days wore on, I could feel myself pulling away from him, retreating into the silence that had become my comfort zone.
One evening, as I sat on the couch, trying to distract myself with a book, he walked in. His face was strained, his eyes full of frustration, but there was something else in them too; something vulnerable, something I hadn’t seen in a while.
“Aisha,” he said softly, using my full name. He only did that when he was serious. “We need to talk.”
My heart skipped a beat. I closed the book and set it aside, already sensing where this conversation was headed.
“What’s wrong?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.
“I’ve been patient, I’ve tried to understand, but it’s not working. I feel like I’m losing you… and it’s tearing me apart.”
His words hit me like a ton of bricks. I could feel the knot in my stomach tightening, but I knew this was it. I couldn’t hide behind my silence any longer.
“You’re not losing me,” I said, trying to steady my voice, but the tears were already welling up in my eyes. “But I feel like you’ve stopped seeing me. I’ve been here, but you’ve been too busy to notice, too wrapped up in your own world. It’s not just about sex, it’s about connection. It’s about you understanding me.”
He looked at me, his eyes searching, trying to make sense of what I was saying. “What do you mean by ‘connection’? I don’t understand.”
I took a deep breath, wiping away a tear that escaped. “I need more from you than just physical touch. I need you to see me when I’m not smiling, when I’m struggling, when I’m tired but still trying to hold everything together. I need you to understand that I can’t always be the one to initiate, that sometimes I need you to step into my world without me asking.”
For a moment, he was silent, and I could see the weight of my words sinking in. Then, he stepped closer, his voice trembling as he said, “I never knew. I thought everything was fine. I didn’t know you needed more.”
I let out a shaky breath, feeling the tension in my chest begin to loosen. “I never told you because I didn’t know how. But I’ve been waiting for you to see me, for you to understand that I’m not just a partner, I’m a person. And I need you to meet me where I am, not where you think I should be.”
He reached out and took my hands in his, his touch gentle yet full of emotion. “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I’ve been blind to your needs. I’ve been too focused on myself. I promise I’ll do better.”
And in that moment, something shifted. A weight lifted, and for the first time in a long while, I felt hopeful. We weren’t perfect, and I knew this wouldn’t solve everything overnight, but the first step had been taken.
“Thank you,” I whispered, my heart softening. “We’ll figure this out together.”
As we sat there, holding hands in silence, I said a prayer-asking for strength, for understanding, for healing. Our love wasn’t perfect, but it was real. And it was worth fighting for.
©️Written by Joy Chinonyerem Godwin-Iloh II
With Joy Chinonyerem Godwin-Iloh
Comments
Post a Comment